Thursday, September 17, 2015

Long Run Recap - 13 Miles


Today was a good running day, the best even! Today I did a personal best for time and distance. 


I tried a new trail: the Terry Hershey Park Hike and Bike Trail.  It really is an awesome park to do out-and-back long runs! Even at 7am on a Sunday there were enough people I felt safe but not so congested I felt like I was running in a traffic jam. 

There were plenty of bikers on the trail. Most were really polite and warned me they were coming ("On your left!") but every now and then some dick would come flying by and freak me the eff out. 

I don't generally mind bikers though. Especially if they are coming towards and fly past. There is always a breeze as they pass and it feels amazing. 


It was a beautiful morning to run. It was brisk (for Houston) and I was able to maintain an AWESOME pace for most of the run. The last couple of miles were really tough, it started to heat up as I was finishing. 

I had planned on doing a 12:15 min/mile pace but I didn't really think I would hit it. Instead I did 13+ miles at an 11:42 min/mile pace!!! I felt really good so I let that dictate my pace. I didn't really start pushing myself until those last three miles when I fought to maintain the pace I had started with. It was so great to run and feel that bounce in my step and really see progress. 


When I was looking at the park map last night I couldn't really gauge how long the trail was so I didn't think I would be able to run the whole thing. This picture is me at the end of the trail (or the beginning, depending on where you park). I have a 14 mile run coming up so I'll have to see if there is a different place to park to get my mileage without having to double up. 


Seriously though, the most beautiful park I've run in town. You really feel like you're in nature without having to run on a trail or losing amenities. There were water fountains every mile or so and bathrooms at either end of the trail. They even had runner showers although I still haven't figured those out. What EXACTLY are you supposed to do with what is essentially a mounted hose in plain view. It's not like they're in a stall! Are you just supposed to get everything wet?! 


All in all I am super excited about my pace. I really needed this run to help motivate me to keep going. All these summer runs have been killing me with the heat. It was so nice to just run for the hell of it AND get a PR. I will definitely be back to run at this park!

But for now...nap time. 

-Ri



No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs