Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Long Run Recap - 13 Miles

Oh. My. Goodness!

Last Sunday I ran the farthest I've ever run! I've completed two half marathons but I've only ever run 10 miles, I did a walk/run the rest of the way. 


We had a pretty little sunrise. Let me tell you! The sun rises QUICK! I had every intention of leaving the house just before the sky started to get light. I looked out our kitchen window and it was pitch black, I rinsed my coffee mug and plate, looked up and it was bright outside. Shit! Lol! I walked halfway to the park before I realized I left my heart rate monitor at home. Back I went and by the time I got to the park it was day-bright outside. I thought I was going to run out of time, I thought it would get too hot before I finished. 


It was still really pretty outside. This is one of my favorite spots. It's where I enter the park right before the track starts. It's right before I start my runs and it is such a spot of promise and excitement. 

I did really well until about mile 5. Between miles 5 and 7 all I did was try to convince myself I didn't need to pee. It didn't work and I ended up having to run home, hurry inside and pee, and then run back outside to the track. I think I'll plan on using the bathroom at the halfway point during the race. Last year during the races I used every Porta Potty available. I had just had the twins so I still wasn't totally in control of alllllll that down there lol. No accidents but I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. Mom-lyfe. 

After that pit stop (see what I did there?) I did awesome until about mile 11. It was at that point that I realized I didn't just have one more mile left, I had two. My last mile is always my fastest with the middle mile almost always being my slowest. During this run, my second to last mile was definitely my slowest. But I ROCKED that last mile! 


I am so proud to say I ran 13 miles. Now. Let's talk serious. My best half marathon race pace was 14:10 per mile. This pace was 12:36/mile. That's nearly a TWO MINUTE difference per mile!!! I ran these 13 miles in 2 hours and 40 minutes. I beat my goal by five minutes and I beat my previous race time by nearly 28 minutes. Holy crap!!! When I set my goal I  didn't realize how much of a time difference it was from my race pace. 

Here I was thinking I wouldn't be able to finish the half in 2 hours 30 minutes. That is only ten minutes faster than today's pace. And it will be cooler!! 

As you can see, I'm just a little excited. 


I followed the run up with an ice bath. I have learned to keep yo pants on during an ice bath and it isn't nearly as bad as doing them naked. 

And then to top it all off my goodies came in after the run. Of course. But now I have oodles of GU and THE BEST PROTEIN COOKIES OF ALL TIME. ALL TIME YA'LL. 


All in all it was a good day. :)


-Ri







No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs