Thursday, August 27, 2015

A Very Informative Run



I finally had a good long run. We've had a "cold front" move through Houston so the highs are only 95 instead of 99. But this morning was cooler so I decided to run as long as I could. I was really aiming for the 12 miles I had to call on Sunday but right as I reached 8.5 Barry called me saying he had to go to work. Even though I had to cut it short I did learn some very important lessons today. 

1.  Sometimes it really is just the weather. I know this and it still gets to me. I know I should slow it down when it's hot. And I know that even though I'm going slow it's still making me a better and faster runner and I know as soon as it gets cooler I'll get faster. It still kills me. I still beat myself up and worry myself sick about pace, distance, etc. 



2.  Being hydrated is a big deal. If you start your run dehydrated your body is going to shut down on you faster. 

3. I am probably going to lose a toenail training for these races. Even though I knew it was a possibility I really didn't think it was going to happen to me. I have tiny feet! Now I'm thinking the toe next to my big toe (index toe?) on my right foot is just gonna go. It aches after my long runs but it's not a blister and only the nail bed hurts. I'm going to start a betting pool ;)

4. When I wear a running belt to hold my stuff (GUs, taser, phone, and keys) I totally feel like Lara Croft. 



And most importantly...

5.  I think I'm really going to be able to do this. My goal is to be able to run the whole half marathon with pace being a secondary goal. Today after I did 8 miles at race pace I was able to slow down to a really comfortable slow pace that was still jogging. I felt like I could kept that pace up for the remainder of the run. During today's run I didn't even breath hard. It was incredible! 

So, if you're struggling during your runs like I was just stick with it. Eventually you'll have a run that changes everything and reminds you of your abilities. 




Just don't quit. 


-ri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs